The perfect cheese for tapas, Manchego is traditionally cut into thin triangles and accompanied by quince paste to provide a sweet contrast to the cheese’s salty bite. A highly versatile cheese, Manchego can be enjoyed alone with bread, grated over soups, melted in sandwiches and in a variety of other easy, delicious recipes.
Strong red wines such as Crianza Rioja and Ribera del Duero from Spain, a Coteaux du Languedoc from France or a California Pinot Noir.
Hoppy Pale Ales and Wheat Beers.
1/2 -3/4 cups Don Bernardo® Manchego,
- 2 oz quince paste, thinly sliced
- 4 slices walnut bread or your favorite bread
- 4 slices Serrano ham
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp butter, softened
- 1 tbsp fresh thyme, chopped
1. Butter 4 slices of bread. Layer the Don Bernardo® grated Manchego,
quince paste slices, Serrano ham slices and chopped thyme on 2 slices, top with other 2 slices and press lightly.
2. Brush outside of sandwich with olive oil and both sides over medium/high heat in skillet or panini press until bread is crisp. Cut in halves and serve.
3. Add a little thyme for decoration on top.
- 1/2 lb Don Bernardo® Manchego, grated plus shavings to serve
- 3 medium white onions, thinly sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 lb pizza dough
- 1 tbsp cornmeal
- 1/2 lb raw chorizo or spicy sausage
- 1/2 cup green olives, pitted and coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh arugula, chopped
- Sliced cherry tomatoes
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1. Sauté onions, garlic and salt in 2 tsp of olive oil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring frequently, until onions are caramelized.
2. Remove casing and cook chorizo in a sauté pan over low/medium heat until all fat has rendered. Pat dry on a paper towel.
3. Stretch and shape dough. Place on a pizza stone sprinkled with cornmeal.
4. Brush dough with olive oil. Spread the caramelized onions and top with chorizo, olives, grated Don Bernardo® Manchego and fresh thyme.
5. Bake at 375°F until the crust is golden. Sprinkle with Don Bernardo® Manchego shavings, sliced cherry tomatoes and arugula.
- 7 oz Don Bernardo® Manchego, cubed
- 4 oz cured chorizo or spicy sausage, sliced in half circles
- 6 fresh or dry figs, halved
- A few leaves of fresh basil
- Drizzle of basil flavored oil
- Wooden skewers
1. Thread each skewer with ingredients placing Don Bernardo® Manchego at each end.
2. Drizzle a few drops of basil flavored oil over skewers.
3. Serve with green olives and other tapas.
For Potato Salad:
- 7 oz Don Bernardo® Manchego, cubed
- 2 lb fingerling potatoes, rinsed
- 1/2 cup celery, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup pitted Cerignola (or your favorite green olives), chopped
- 1 head Bibb or butter lettuce (optional)
- Salt and pepper to taste
For Salsa Verde:
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp capers, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup gherkins, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup red onion, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- 1/2 cup parsley, finely chopped
1. Steam the potatoes until tender and cool at room temp.
2. Slice the potatoes and combine with the olives and celery.
3. Combine the potatoes, celery and olives with the Don Bernardo® Manchego.
4. For the Salsa Verde: whisk the vinegar, mustard and olive oil. Combine with remaining ingredients.
5. Add the desired amount of salsa verde and toss gently. Serve in lettuce bowls and garnish with parsley. Serve at room temp.
- 7 oz Don Bernardo® Manchego, sliced
- 1 cup arugula or watercress
- 1 pt strawberries, halved
Drizzle of balsamic glaze
- 4 tbsp black cherry preserve
1. Arrange the Don Bernardo® Manchego slices and other ingredients on 4 plates.
2. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and serve with bread or crackers.